Rest In Peace TAE
Taken from this world far to soon
You was an Amazing game
Game of the Year in many peoples eyes
You spread joy to people all around the world
You will be missed
Much Love

• Like 2

Wow what a shame, was a bit shocked to see the message in my inbox. Appreciate the refund, and im sure like many on here that cash will be pumped straight in to warframe :)

:( 

I just wanna let you guys know that the style of the game is definitely fantastic. Nothing else comes close. 

My biggest complaint is that the cards aren’t doing what other shooters can’t do. Carve out that niche and own it.

Aw shame to see development paused, but hopefully you guys will figure stuff out! :)

@[DE]Drew I hope this experience sticks with DE—it's important first and foremost to make a game fun. I still feel that a lot of the design decisions felt forced around the idea of a slower paced game rather than working around what players determined was more fun: shorter timers, stronger cards and combos, and progression rewards that feel meaningful. 

I think a lot of developers stumble in today's market by forgetting that a game is first a game before it is a business. And to ensure a game is successful, everything must be done to keep it as fun as possible. Too often we find development trying to stick to their guns with their original idea instead of adapting it to include all those silly and fun mistakes that result in more engaging play.

A good example I love to use is of the game GunZ. Through rapid sequential key presses, users were able to cancel attack animations and the players created a whole style around these glitches. This became known as K-Style. Why run on the ground and shoot a gun slowly when you can attack walls with swords and (nearly literally) fly around the map at blazing speeds? This kind of gameplay encouraged players to really dedicate themselves to become good. Development, though, tried again and again to patch out what everyone was having so much fun with. The game eventually attracted an immense international base of players due to the high skill cap and the fun rewarding gameplay revolving around these animation cancels. From their success, Maiet (GunZ development) used their funds to create GunZ 2 and, this time around, were stubborn enough to completely eliminate what made the first GunZ unique and fun: K-Style. The game bombed. No—it did worse than that; the game angered everyone to the point where the company lost nearly everything they had going for them. Rather than officially incorporating K-Style into GunZ 2, Maiet did everything they could to strike it out of the concept of the game... and they succeeded not only in that, but in disappointing every player. Sure, they realized their original vision for the game, but in doing so they took away nearly everything that made it fun in the first place.

The moral of this story is to embrace what players find fun, and then work around balancing that instead of trying to obstinately force everyone to adhere to the original concept. Be fluid, adapt, allow your creation to take on a shape different from what was first envisioned.

I am part of another alpha DE game that also fails to realize this—and they are making changes that detract from how fun the game is in favor of sticking to some original blueprint. I hope it's not too late for them to also recognize what makes the game fun and then balance around that, instead of around their original vision.

I had the pleasure of taking a class under the tutelage of Dave Arneson, the creator of Dungeons and Dragons, and one of the best things I took away from him was the understanding that balance is incredibly important. I was also taught to embrace experimental or off-the-wall ideas, and development and publishers typically try and play it too safe. I think Mr. Arneson would feel very badly at having such a great concept such as TAE fall short of the finish line because development wanted to play it safe instead of challenging themselves to build and balance around what made the idea and the game fun in the first place.

I look forward to the day when TAE can be revisited. I feel like I am in mourning =(

Edited by Darkon
  • Like 6

On 10/25/2017 at 2:01 PM, [DE]Drew said:

We do not have any additional plans to discuss at this time, but feel free to post any questions or concerns here, and we’ll try to answer them.

Honestly, I seen this coming. Just off playerbase alone. To be fair, It's why I stopped playing. Just not enough players in general, and bugs were lingering for far too long.

I think if this game does ever return and try to make another stand.. a lot of things would have to be different. I try not to be hyper-critcal, but in the case of the event that transpired, I feel like at the current time it's something that could only help.

First, The cards. Players have said over and over for the longest time, that grinding for them is what made them not want to play. I know you guys tried to speed up the pace, but this is really the type of game where you need most or not all these card just to play, let alone enjoy. It took forever to get to a point with a single character to where you were comfortable or had a cohesive deck to play with. It bears repeating, this was one of the most common complaints against the game. The RNG made it a horrible slog just to get started.

Second, F2P Model. I'm not saying it was horrible, but it was clear that starting out, cards were the primary thing you attempted to monetize. This should have never been the case. Take a page from Warframe and most other games. Cosmetics do better overall when fairly priced compared to anything that can advance a player quicker. Trying to monetize cards was a heavy downfall for the game imo.

Lastly, the Patch cycle. Once a week patches work for stable games. TAE wasn't really in a position to use a weekly cycle tbh. It needed to be patched and tweaked more often until things were mostly steady. A LOT of major bug went weeks without being patched, some even remain unpatched from a long time ago. It was quite honestly a mess as far as patching and updates went.

The thing that confuses me most, is why when the community brought these issues up, they mostly went unaddressed. Attempts were made, but with just a weekly cycle things never felt like they got addressed in a timely manner. When said attempts happened, it really never went over super well either.

That out of the way, some actual questions.

1. Do you feel that TAE will be able return in the future or is shelved permanently?
  2. Do you feel trying a Steam release or transitioning to an Open Beta would have helped with the playerbase at all, over the invite only system in place?
  3. What do you think was main cause of not keeping an active/stable playerbase?
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Darkon said:

The moral of this story is to embrace what players find fun, and then work around balancing that instead of trying to obstinately force everyone to adhere to the original concept. Be fluid, adapt, allow your creation to take on a shape different from what was first envisioned.

IMO the biggest issue was always that the game was only fun when you had access to a large collection of cards but most new players never really got to experience that.

Resetting collections repeatedly because they couldn't figure out progression just made it impossible for the player population to grow.

2 minutes ago, RubyRose said:

Lastly, the Patch cycle. Once a week patches work for stable games. TAE wasn't really in a position to use a weekly cycle tbh. It needed to be patched and tweaked more often until things were mostly steady. A LOT of major bug went weeks without being patched, some even remain unpatched from a long time ago. It was quite honestly a mess as far as patching and updates went.

The bug which made it impossible to open packs probably was responsible for half of all new players that quit.  Every time I was in chat I'd see someone complaining and you had to know that was probably killing the game.

Edited by Urabask
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Urabask said:

TAE was relatively stable.  The problem was that they had some bugs that basically kept you from playing the game.  The bug which made it impossible to open packs probably was responsible for half of all new players that quit.

True enough. It was fairly stable, but the servers could have been a ton better along with these major issues getting dealt with faster. I mean packs had opening issues since early Alpha for example. =/

Just now, Urabask said:

IMO the biggest issue was always that the game was only fun when you had access to a large collection of cards but most new players never really got to experience that.

Resetting collections repeatedly because they couldn't figure out progression just made it impossible for the player population to grow.

^This.  Plus balance patch with increased timers before timer trial changes pretty much turned off most of the players that remained.

A little sad and angry here.  Most of the lack of growth were caused by things that we told them were a problem in alpha, but they plowed ahead into closed beta knowing that progression was garbage.  Could have held on to a lot more new players if they didn't feel like they were getting stomped by people with better cards all the time.

• Like 1

You guys killed your own game and didn't listen to the people that mattered and tried to help it grow.  You shot yourselves in the foot.  You should have listened to what was needed like a crafting system over stupid variant game pieces.  You also should have planned for your game to die out as you dropped your biggest Warframe update ever.  People were ramping up for weeks for it and stopped playing.  Bots were an awful filler in games and should have been removed immediately.  The movement speeds shouldn't have been messed with.  You never came up with a tutorial for new players and left it up to the veterans to teach people.  Devs were almost never in games.  I gave it 3 months back in August when I realized you guys didn't have a real direction.  Such a shame

• Like 1

I'm not going ANYWHERE. You guys did AMAZING work with this game, and we, the players that loved it, will always be grateful to you for having given us the chance to enjoy it while we did.

Thank you a million times over. I hope to see all of you again, soon. B|

• Like 1

aw man this sucks. :/ I was really hoping this would go further and develop into the next e-sports thing. I'm sorry to see it happen. :C

Damn! I found out about this by the refund in my email... I thought somehow I had refunded something and got worried...

Came here to find out this terrible news :/

Really enjoyed the time I had with the game, here's to the future!

"Pause" Development.  Hmmm.

You guys have a good game.    I think if you want to break into the shooter field at this point, you need to bring something new.

Licensed music, would be new - and interesting.  Just saying, a soundtrack by Billy Corgan, insert favorite band here, or ELO, would get folks interested at least.

Otherwise, you guys had a very serviceable, and REDUNDANT shooter.  Yeah, I know you had "cards" -  not that interesting/dynamic/impactful.

My point being, that hero shooters with customizable heroes is nothing new.  Ok, your customization takes the form of "cards" that you implement during the game for short term effect - if anything that's irritating.  Folks want to play a hero a certain way - not 5 different ways over a 3 minute period.

Edited by Spamwagon

Jesus, this sucks. I feel like Overwatch has pretty much ruined the market for the next several years what with all the supposed 'hero shooters' not being able to compete.

• Like 1

Things to make TAE go differently a 2nd time:

Alpha:

1. 8 Eternals (2 for each role)(I think there are 9 total depicted in-game)

2. Unrestricted Access to all cards and Eternals

3. All 4 Maps 

4. 24/7 Testing for bug squashing and base balance

5. After Bugs are resolved, Stress Test weekends via Steam and Unrestricted Access Removal the month leading to Beta. Initial testing of Progression and Crafting System begins here. At alpha end, Reset Progression.

Beta:

1. On Steam

2. Generalized Balance and Game Stability issues should no longer be a thing. 

3. Release Any Content for test that was in development during Alpha.

4. After Bugs/Balance on that content is complete Reset Progression and remove the beta tag.

Live:

1. Competitive Preseason used for testing until the eternal count gives more variety to competitive play.

Early Testing was hurt by having to unlock content. The current state of the game needed more Eternals, tutorials,  and the Crafting System implement at least. The abruptness of alphas end caught me off guard, it was longer than it was supposed to be and it was not long enough. It's sad to see this game go. I will miss it.

Edited by Verticules
  • Like 1

You have a cool concept (Doc Savage shooter).

You have a good engine - the game works well.

You have derivative game modes and gameplay.  Why would anyone come to your game for what is essentially, nothing new?

7 minutes ago, Jerma985 said:

Jesus, this sucks. I feel like Overwatch has pretty much ruined the market for the next several years what with all the supposed 'hero shooters' not being able to compete.

And not even because the other games are even similar enough to matter.  All the players that populate games to the point where they can be successful have this hive mind that believes that there is just no room for anything else remotely similar.

• Like 2

R.I.P.

I'll be hanging onto hope. Would love to see this come back as it had/has a ton of potential and screams the fantastic quality DE is known for. 

Good luck and thank you for your hard work. <3